Mexican food is in my top 5 national cuisines, so you bet your cojones I’ve had my share of guacamole. And out of all that guacamole, this healthy recipe handed down from my mother (and slightly tweaked by me) is the best guacamole recipe I’ve tried. Better than any restaurant, better than any recipe. Yes, it’s that good! Try it for yourself and see.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: approximately 4 servings (1 large bowl)
-although for me sometimes it serves only one because it’s so addictive!
- 2 Roma tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 green onions
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 8 sprigs cilantro, finely chopped
- juice of 1/2 small lime
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large (or 3 small) ripe avocados
- Mix all ingredients together, except avocado
- Cut avocados in half, removing stones (saving one) and scoop out flesh
- Mash avocados and add to mixture
- Put stone in center to keep guacamole green longer and serve with tortilla chips
You can also try experimenting with some spices for topping; a dash of paprika for colour or a sprinkle of chili powder for flavour is a nice added touch if you have it on hand.
If you don’t finish your guacamole in one sitting, Epicurious has some great tips on keeping your guac green. We personally like to smooth the top of the guac, cover with water, and seal with an airtight lid. Then drain and stir just before eating.
Let us know what you think, and if you have what you believe to be a better healthy guacamole recipe, post a link in the comments so we can try it! I just hope I don’t lose my cojones on that bet…