I actually cook more often than this blog would have you know. I enjoy cooking, and I’m proud to say that more often than not, my creations are edible and actually yummy. You see, I’m the type to just throw in whatever condiments/seasonings I have on hand in whatever amounts I think is right. I think I got that from my parents, mostly my dad, who is a far better cook than my mom (sorry mom!)
Another reason why I cook so often is simply…I find my stuff is more tasty than Hitman’s!!! I much prefer Chinese cooking than Caucasian, but we do have pasta quite often as it’s very easy.
I would like to share more of my cooking on here..it’s not easy as it’s difficult to take pictures while you’re busy stirring or chopping and your hands are all dirty. But here’s a start.
Recipe: Stirfried Veggies with Mochi Fishcake and Steamed Egg Tofu
Stirfried Veggies with Mochi Fishcake
Note: I got the Mochi Fishcake at T&T Supermarket, where you get the various hotpot fishballs and such. I think this is their creation. You can for sure substitute any other ‘meats’…this particular night this was the only easy-to-thaw ‘meat’ I had on hand.
- 6-7 Fishcakes, cut into 3
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 6-7 dried shrimps
- 2 cups frozen veggies
- approx 2 tbsp Somen Sauce (a type of sweetened soy sauce)
- approx 2 tbsp Low-sodium soy sauce
(Again, I didn’t measure the condiments…I just splashed them on to taste).
- Soak the dried shrimps in a little water till tender and cut in half. Save the water.
- Spray pan with olive oil spray and heat on medium. Meanwhile, microwave frozen veggies according to directions (4 mins for me).
- When pan is hot, add onions and cook til tender.
- Add dried shrimps (without water) and heat till fragrant.
- Add fishcakes and stir till hot.
- Add microwaved veggies. Stir till hot.
- Add the Somen sauce and low-sodium soy sauce and the shrimp water. Cook until everything’s heated through.
Steamed Egg Tofu with Garlic Black Bean Sauce
- 1 pkg egg tofu
- 1/2 tsp garlic black bean sauce
- 3/4 tbsp cold water
- 1/4 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp chopped green onions
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Bring a pot of water to a boil for steaming.
- While waiting, cut open package of egg tofu and slice into 3/4 inch rounds. Assemble on a platter.
- Mix together garlic black bean sauce, cold water, and corn starch. Pour onto the egg tofu rounds.
- Sprinkle half of the green onion and half of the cilantro on top. Save the rest for afterwards.
- When the water is boiling, place the platter into the steamer and steam for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, take the platter out and sprinkle the rest of the green onion and cilantro on top.